Mold After a Hurricane
Many SERVPRO crews flocked to North Carolina following Hurricane Florence to assist with the cleanup, including our own SERVPRO of North Garland professionals. Getting back to “normal” is a long process, especially for those who had their homes destroyed by flood waters. Unfortunately, this lengthy cleanup is often exacerbated by mold.
Mold requires a warm, moist environment to grow. The flood waters produced by hurricanes along with the high temperatures of hurricane season (June-November) provide the perfect climate for mold. Hurricane Florence produced an unprecedented amount of rainfall – damaging hundreds of thousands of homes. On top of dealing with water damage these home owners may also have to be concerned about hazardous mold growth.
If you ever experience a flood in your home, there are some steps you can take to protect both yourself and your home from mold.
- Protect your mouth and nose with a N-95 respirator.
- Wear gloves to tear out any drywall.
- Use eye protection.
- Open as many doors and windows as possible to encourage air flow before SERVPRO professionals can get to the scene.
- Do not paint or caulk over any visible mold, it only hides the issue from view.
- Throw away any items that cannot be saved.
The key to preventing mold from growing in your home is removing the moisture. SERVPRO crews will work as fast as possible to begin the drying process, and are prepared to handle any mold that may arise. If you experience a water damage in your house call SERVPRO of North Garland anytime at 972-496-2441.