Proud to be Purpose Driven
We are one team driven by a common purpose.
One of the reasons we chose to become SERVPRO franchise owners is because the company has an established purpose that aligns with our personal approach to doing business. Countless business publications and studies have proven that purpose driven companies have greater success in building customer and employee loyalty.
The SERVPRO™ Purpose is “To Help Entrepreneurs Succeed.” At SERVPRO of North Garland we believe everyone we do business with is an “entrepreneur”- so we strive to ensure success across the board.
- We want our customer entrepreneurs to feel taken care of so that they can get back to their life and not worry about the details of their damage restoration.
- We want our employee entrepreneurs to feel they have a career that provides growth opportunities through training and advancement.
- We want our community entrepreneurs to feel supported through local and national sponsorships and volunteering.
Our success is driven by our customers’ success – nothing means more to us than making a difference for those in need. It is our purpose and how we run our company.
- Alison & Juan, Owners
Tackling Things as a Team
SERVPRO teams working together to handle widespread damage from ice and snow in North Garland.
Our team at SERVPRO of North Garland has been working around the clock, answering calls and working toward appointments for thousands of customers across DFW.
One of the great things about SERVPRO as a company is the support we receive from headquarters when things are overwhelming. As of last Sunday, our corporate office activated the SERVPRO Storm Response - which is when unaffected franchises send staff and equipment to help in markets that need additional support.
To date, we've had over 50 franchises outside of DFW join forces with the local franchises to expand our combined abilities to help people in our communities.
We are thankful to serve the North Garland community and we are thankful that our corporate community serves us.
Bye Bye - Bio Hazards
Safety is Priority #1 When Dealing With Biohazards.
There have always been hazardous biological agents associated with fire and mold damage, and more recently there has been the need for deep anti-viral cleaning services to combat the spread of Coronavirus. As the needs change, so has SERVPRO of North Garland so we are prepared to handle any Bio Recovery situation. This expertise differentiates us from many disaster recovery competitors.
We have Certified Bio Recovery Technicians (CBRTs) on our staff, who have been specially trained in the cleanup of biohazardous agents such as blood and other infectious matter.
Our first step is to disinfect what can be salvaged, removing potentially harmful substances. The team will then collect any materials that can’t be completely disinfected (such as carpet since it is particularly porous) in order to dispose of them properly and avoid cross-contamination.
We have specialized equipment, personal protection equipment and solvents that empower our team to manage any biohazard situations as quickly and safely as possible.
Like all disasters, Bio Hazards are extremely unfortunate and have to be handled with careful detail for complete recovery. Your team at SERVPRO of North Garland is ready to help if needed. Call us anytime at 972-496-2441.
Looking for Leaks Can Save Money
Look for leaks to save money.
Winter months are a great time to do a leak check in your home since most people don’t use as much water in colder months. According to the EPA, a typical family of 4 doesn’t use more than 12K gallons in a winter month. If your bill shows higher use – it’s probably a good idea to look for leaks.
Another way to know if you have a water leak is to watch your water meter before and after a 2 hour time period when you know you didn’t use any water. If it indicates that you did – then something is leaking somewhere.
These are the most common causes of water leaks in a residential home:
- Washing Machines
- Hot Water Heaters
- Ice Machines
- Outdoor Faucets
- Indoor Shower Heads and Faucets
If you do find a leak, it can often be fixed by tightening a valve, cleaning a drain or replacing a washer depending on the item that is leaking. There are many tutorials that you can watch to guide you through a simple fix like one of these. If you complete the DIY leak repairs but still find water – then call SERVPRO of North Garland to come inspect the damage. Often our technicians can diagnose where the leak originated while working on site.
If you have any concerns about potential water leaks and subsequent damage, call us at 972-496-2441.
Happy New Year Neighbor!
SERVPRO of North Garland wishes all of our neighbors a great 2021 and offers 5 maintenance must-dos.
We’re nearly a month into 2021 and the start of the year is the perfect time to give your home or office an in-depth overview to assess any potential risks and prepare for the year ahead.
Accidents happen and SERVPRO of North Garland is here to help our neighbors recover from any size disaster. But being a good neighbor also means sharing information – so here are 5 maintenance must-dos to kick of the new year.
- Give your gutters a good onceover to make sure they are clean since clogs can trap moisture and lead to leaks.
- Test smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers to make sure they are working. Now is a great time to develop a Family Escape Plan as well -https://www.SERVPROnorthgarland.com/blog/fire-smoke-damage-restoration#247395
- Prevent leaks and odors by cleaning the garbage disposal – grind several ice cubes, then flush with hot water and baking soda.
- Inspect the roof for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks.
- Call us to get a free Emergency Readiness Assessment for your home or office. Our experts will check for concerns and help build a resource plan for managing potential emergencies.
Your neighborhood restoration experts are here if you need us – call SERVPRO of North Garland at (972) 496-2441,
Dry Ice Blasting for Commercial Fires
Dry-ice blasting is an eco-friendly and fast way to remove damage from fire.
As a commercial property owner, you know how important it is to get back to work after any sort of disaster. We've been working with large and small commercial properties for over 50 years and have an arsenal of restoration techniques depending on the building and situation. One of the fastest and most eco-friendly one is referred to as Dry-Ice Blasting (also called CO2 Blasting, or Dry Ice Dusting.)
Dry-ice blasting is used to remove surface stains - most often this is char, soot and residue that is left behind after the flames have been extinguished. It works by using compressed air to accelerate dry ice pellets to create mini-explosions that lift the stain from the substrate. Despite how that sounds - it is non-abrasive , non-conductive and can be used without damaging active electrical or mechanical equipment.
In most cases, items won’t need to be disassembled because it finds its way into small spaces between parts. Disassembly and reassembly are time consuming so dry-ice blasting can reduce downtime so you can return to business quicker.
Our goal is to put things back together so that it looks and feels like “it never happened.” If you experience fire damage, SERVPRO of North Garland can dry-ice blast away the damage, remove lingering odors and minimize downtime for you and your tenants.
If your business needs help with fire damage, give SERVPRO of North Garland a call at 972-496-2441.
Common Causes of House Fires
Avoid common house fires by knowing how to protect yourself.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that fire stations respond to house fires every 24 seconds. Fire is quick acting and volatile - so educate yourself of the risks to keep your home fire-free. Here are the most common causes of house fires.
Cooktops generate open flames that can quickly spread out of control if they aren't watched carefully. Home cooking fires account for approximately $1 billion in property damage, 550 deaths and 4,820 injuries every year.
Malfunctioning appliances can spark, resulting in a dangerous fire. These fires account for 13% of all residential fires, including 18% of all civilian fire deaths. These fires are most likely to occur in the colder months.
Candles may generate a small flame, but that doesn't mean that they're completely harmless. Most candle fires occur when other household items, such as furniture and curtains, are kept too close to the flame. It only takes a few seconds for them to catch fire and consume the house.
Children playing with fire are responsible for $172 million in property damages every year. 83% of these fires are caused by young boys, half of which are under the age of six. Proper fire safety education is vital when it comes to preventing these accidents.
Smoking is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths. These are often caused when someone carelessly smokes a cigarette, cigar or other product too close to combustible materials.
Should you experience a fire in your home or office, SERVPRO of North Garland is here to help.
Prepare the Trees Please
Proper care of trees will help prevent storm damage.
We love our trees in Texas – they provide much needed shade in the summers. But those same trees in a storm can become dangerous. High winds and lightning cause broken branches, splintered tree trunks and even the complete uprooting of a tree – which can cause significant damage to you, or your neighbor’s, property.
Like most things, maintenance is key to keeping them healthy and flourishing. Proper upkeep will prepare your trees to weather the storm – literally. Watering and fertilizing are important, but regular pruning can shape your trees in becoming more resistant to storms and weather damage.
Improper pruning can cause damage so if you aren’t comfortable doing this yourself, it’s best to leave it to the experts. In general, the National Arbor Day Foundation recommends these tips for pruning and care:
- Keep branch angles at 10 o’clock or 2 o’clock. Narrower angles between 2 branches can become a weak point.
- The center of gravity for a tree should be over the trunk. Remove branches on the leaning side and encourage branch growth on the opposite side to ensure a stable center of gravity.
- Don't cut branches back to stubs. Long, natural limbs on a tree are strong and can withstand storm-like conditions. If a branch needs to be removed, cut it back to the main branch or to the tree's trunk. Do remove any temporary branches such as rubbing branches, suckers and water-sprouts.
- Conduct tree trimmings when it’s best for the type of tree. Some trees need to be pruned in a specific season to avoid pests and disease. As we head into winter, make sure your oak-trees get trimmed so they don’t end up with oak wit. Other types of trees that should be pruned in winter include apple, cedar, Douglas fir and spruce trees.
In general, trees that are healthy endure storms way better than the rest. If you don’t want your trees to end up deteriorating due to extreme weather conditions, then be a responsible tree owner—provide the plants with proper watering, regular and corrective pruning and nutrients.
Lessons on Lightning
Lightning is unpredictable, so know your facts to stay safe.
If you can hear thunder then you’re close enough to be struck by lightning – so understanding the facts will help you stay safe in a storm.
- Lightning is highly unpredictable which increases the risk to people and property.
- Rain isn’t required for lightning to occur – it’s been seen as far as 10 miles away from any rainfall.
- "Heat lightning" is actually lightning from a thunderstorm too far away for thunder to be heard. However, the storm may be moving in your direction so it’s best to take precaution.
- Most lightning deaths and injuries occur when people are caught outdoors in the summer months during the afternoon and evening. More people will survive a lightning strike than die from it, however they can have lasting effects from the injury.
- Lightning strike victims carry no electrical charge and should be attended to immediately.
If a Storm is Approaching
- Move to a sturdy building or car. Do not take shelter in small sheds, under isolated trees, or in convertible automobiles.
- Many houses are grounded by rods and other protection that conduct a lightning bolt's electricity harmlessly to the ground. However, water and pipes conduct electricity – so do not get in the bath or take a shower during a lightning storm.
- Lightning causes power surges, so unplug appliances and other electrical items – especially computers and televisions.
- If your only option for shelter is an automobile – get inside but don’t touch any of the metal. It’s steel frame will protect you as long as you don’t make contact with it. Tires are made of rubber – which is a conductor so will not protect you if it strikes the car.
Remember that no place outside is safe when lightning is in the area. Stay indoors until 30 minutes after you hear the last clap of thunder. If your home or property is damaged from lightning, SERVPRO fire and storm experts can help.
Get the Most From Your Commercial Real Estate Investment
Maximize Your Return Through Maintenance and More
While buying a property at the right price is critical, what you do with it after the purchase is often more important. Good property management leads to good return on the investment. Here ae 5 tips to keep in mind as a commercial property owner:
It can be difficult and expensive to find new tenants so the best way to maintain your income is to keep the ones you have. This involves regular communication, anticipating tenant needs and being proactive. One of the things tenants care most about is the cleanliness of their workspace. When you use SERVPRO to clean your facility, we can provide you with a badge and collateral to let tenants know it’s SERVPRO Certified.
You know that tenants will pay more for properties that look good and are well kept. Properties are designated as Class A, B, or C based on their condition and Class A facilities have higher rent and lower turnover. For a large commercial property, the list of things that need to be regularly maintained is extensive. SERVPRO offers HVAC maintenance, janitorial services and deep cleanings that eliminate bio-hazards.
The outdoor vibe is just as important as the indoor one. Beautiful (and smart) landscaping provides additional areas for tenants to meet, eat or have some downtime during breaks. Protect your outdoor investment by clustering wind-resistant trees and plants, maintaining the correct proximity to building structures and consistent watering and pruning.
Younger tenants are particularly drawn to sustainable buildings. You can offer site-wide recycling or composting services, relamp existing lights with energy efficient bulbs and upgrade the HVAC system. All of these things will save you money and the headache of finding new tenants.
Keep your tenants safe with well-lit external areas, monitored entrances and the presence of security guards in common areas. Keep your building safe with an emergency readiness plan. SERVPRO offers a free assessment to help build a plan that will minimize downtime and damage from storms or other disasters.
Owning commercial real estate can be a tremendously rewarding investment with active management and participation. Following the steps above will help ensure a high return and highly satisfied tenants.